- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups finely chopped fresh broccoli
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (8 ounces) process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 1-1/2 cups shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Additional shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- In a small skillet, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir 3-4 minutes or until tender. Transfer to a 3- or 4-qt. slow cooker. Add broccoli, broth, milk and pepper.
- Cook, covered, on low 3-4 hours or until broccoli is tender. Stir in process cheese until melted. Add shredded cheeses; stir until melted. Just before serving, stir soup to combine. Top servings with additional cheddar cheese. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews forSlow Cooker Cheesy Broccoli Soup
"I tried this recipe, followed it pretty much to a T and I keep having an issue where at the end the milk or something curdles, and I'm not sure why that happens at all and was wondering if anyone else has had that issue or anyone else can help me figure out why it did. I used evaporated milk as well."
"Loved it! I used 2% Velveeta and reduced fat sharp cheddar and it turned out great!"
"i did the recipe X1.5 cuz we like to have leftovers. I added minced garlic and chopped carrots to my saute, did broccoli as well as colliflower and replaced 1.5 cups of broth with beer. served with crusty bread. so yummy. i have to say this recipe is veeeeery unhealthy tho."
"Sounds delicious but I'd have to bypass that processed cheese stuff - too much sodium and grainy texture. Guess I'd add some guyere for a smooth taste along with the cheddar. Otherwise, sounds simply awesome."