Slow-Cooked Savory Cheese Soup
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 8 hours
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, cubed and room temperature
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 can (12 ounces) beer, optional
- Optional Toppings: croutons, popcorn, crumbled cooked bacon, sliced green onions
- In a 3-qt. slow cooker, combine the first eight ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours.
- Combine flour and water until smooth; stir into soup. Cover and cook on high 30 minutes longer or until soup is thickened.
- Stir in cream cheese and cheddar cheese until blended. Stir in beer if desired. Cover and cook on low until heated through. Serve with desired toppings.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 256 calories, 21g fat (14g saturated fat), 69mg cholesterol, 797mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 9g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 10, 2018
A simple and versatile recipe. I made it without the beer as I was making it for a crowd, but overall, I thought it was tasty. I would agree with the previous comments about the cream cheese not melting. On the bright side, I did cube the cream cheese up in small enough pieces that I could "smash" them without making too much of a mess. Those pieces that weren't completely smashed were small enough that no one complained.
Feb 25, 2018
Worst crock pot recipe I've ever made! After 7 hours of cooking (first 5 just to wilt vegetables?), my family is starving and I had to throw it in a pot on the stove to get the cream cheese to melt. Absolutely ridiculous--and to make matters worse, it was just average at best. Totally frustrating and disappointing...
Jan 17, 2017
Worst recipe ever. First of all I have no idea why it needs to cook for 7-8 hrs first. Then when you finally get around to adding the cream cheese it takes FOREVER for it to melt. I won't be making this again even if by some miracle it tastes good.
Oct 28, 2016
Added a dash of cayenne pepper for a little zip. Still a little bland but overall a good soup.
Nov 11, 2015
This has become a regular in our slow-cooker. I use sharp cheddar for extra flavor, and I chop the veggies very fine and leave out the beer for my finicky eaters. The kids like it with gold fish crackers, hubby likes his with bacon pieces and I have mine with broken-up pretzels. A winner all-around!
Aug 13, 2013
My whole family loves it- it is perfect as is. Tastes even better the second day.
Oct 7, 2012
Not bad, but I found it too salty. I even used reduced sodium chicken broth to make it.
Sep 4, 2012
This was good, and you can do a lot with it - add mushrooms, broccolli, etc. We got tired eating the soup - added paprika and cayenne pepper and had a cheese dip (i'd reduce it more if I were to use it for that again). Very good, very versatile.
Jan 25, 2008
This was very good. Ham or broccoli would be a nice addition as well.