Slow Cooker Bacon-Mushroom Dressing
My favorite stuffing uses a slow cooker, which helps when your oven's busy. It goes with everything from turkey to game hens. —Hope Wasylenki, Gahanna, Ohio
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 3 hours
Makes16 servings (3/4 cup each)
- 4 bacon strips, chopped
- 4 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 large eggs
- 1-1/2 to 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1 package (14 ounces) seasoned stuffing cubes
- 1 package (6 ounces) corn bread stuffing mix
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, stirring occasionally. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Discard drippings, reserving 1 tablespoon in pan.
- Add mushrooms, onion and celery to drippings; cook and stir over medium-high heat 5-6 minutes or until onion is tender.
- In a bowl, whisk eggs and 1-1/2 cups broth until blended. In a large bowl, combine stuffing cubes, stuffing mix, bacon and mushroom mixture. Stir in egg mixture and enough additional broth to reach desired moistness.
- Transfer to a greased 6-qt. slow cooker. Cook, covered, on low 3 to 3-1/2 hours or until heated through and edges are lightly browned, stirring once.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 172 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 26mg cholesterol, 657mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Crockpot Stuffing in Simple & Delicious October/November 2015
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.