- 4 medium sweet red peppers
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- 3/4 cup salsa
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 1/3 cup uncooked converted long grain rice
- 1-1/4 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Reduced-fat sour cream, optional
- Cut and discard tops from peppers; remove seeds. In a large bowl, mix beans, cheese, salsa, onion, corn, rice, chili powder and cumin; spoon into peppers. Place in a 5-qt. slow cooker coated with cooking spray.
- Cook, covered, on low 3-4 hours or until peppers are tender and filling is heated through. If desired, serve with sour cream. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews forSlow-Cooked Stuffed Peppers
"This is one of my favorite vegetarian dishes! My family loves it! So glad I discovered this dish! Thank you!"
"Good vegetarian dish! This was my first time trying a stuffed pepper. Given the pepper jack, salsa and seasonings I was worried this would be too spicy for my teens, but it wasn't at all (they did top with sour cream).I will probably increase the heat a bit next time. I used regular long grain white rice, since I was not sure what "converted" rice was. (Looked it up after I made it - it's quick cooking rice). I will use this next time or just cook longer with a little water (as other reviewers did). I will also try using reduced fat cheddar and adding either green chilies or jalapeno and possibly Rotel. Thanks for a new, easy to prepare, healthy recipe!"
"I made these recently. They were the balm. Family members from age 22 to 82 loved them. No meat? they said. They were pleasantly surprised of how delicious they were. This recipe is a keeper. I only cooked them for 5 hours on low."
"These were great, will be making them again."
"Made this tonight for dinner. I used regular long grain white rice and added a little water to the bottom of the crock pot. I cooked on high for 4 hours. The peppers were very tender and the filling was delicious. Definitely a keeper!"
"This has to be my favorite recipe. easy to make, The next day leftovers are awesome too."
"This was an on the fly, let's see what I have in the pantry because I'm snowed in kinda deal for me that turned out very good.I didn't have whole peppers but had chopped mixed red, yellow and orange in the freezer from my over abundance this past fall so I used them. Also didn't have pepper jack cheese but substituted Colby Jack and some chopped jalapenos.I had all the other ingredients and also added 1 can of Ro-tel diced tomatoes with lime and cilantro just because I always add tomatoes to my stuffed peppers.In place of sour cream I used fat free plain Greek yogurt."
"First time I made this, I cooked rice separately and was good. Second time I added 1/4 cup diced tomatoes to uncooked rice. Worked great."