Slice ‘n’ Bake Lemon Gems
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
Makesabout 2 dozen
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup colored sugar or nonpareils
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- In a small bowl, cream butter and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in lemon peel. In another bowl, whisk flour and cornstarch; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Refrigerate, covered, 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- Shape into a 7-in.-long roll (about 1-3/4-in. diameter); roll in colored sugar. Wrap in plastic; refrigerate 2-3 hours or until firm.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Unwrap and cut dough crosswise into 1/4-in. slices. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake 9-11 minutes or until set and edges are light brown. Cool on pans 1 minute. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, mix icing ingredients; spread over cookies. Let stand until set.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 117 calories, 6g fat (4g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 46mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Dec 10, 2017
One of my favorite cookies! Always perfect ??
Dec 9, 2017
Very disappointed. Followed the recipe to a tee. I got 23 not 24 of them and half of them fell apart. Definitely melt in your mouth and need the icing but too much waste as they were too thin. Maybe if they were thicker, they would stay in one piece. Sorry to say but a waste of my time as I cannot serve or give them away.
Dec 4, 2017
Fantastic! The lemon juice and zest are so fresh.
Jun 20, 2017
The lemon flavored goodies are great anytime of year!!
Dec 30, 2015
The family loved the flavor of these cookies. The color was a welcome addition on the Christmas cookie tray.
Dec 24, 2015
Melt in your mouth like a butter cookie but the lemon adds a touch of tartness.
Dec 9, 2015
An easy recipe to make. I have to agree with TriciaAG. I too would leave off the coloured sugar. I think it looks nice around the edge, but detracts from the tartness of the lemon glaze, which is great. I think I would also make them just a tad thicker.
Dec 1, 2015
I love these cookies--they really are gems! Full of flavor and beautiful on a holiday cookie platter. I match the color of the sorinkles I roll the dough in to the colors of the holiday we're celebrating.
Nov 5, 2015
I love serving these cookies as they are so pretty and dainty.
Apr 29, 2015
I will leave off the rolled in sprinkles step next time, I don't think they added anything, but the glaze does, and everyone enjoyed them at our Easter dinner.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.