- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3 pounds bone-in country-style pork ribs
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 to 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (28 ounces each) crushed or diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian diced tomatoes, drained
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped capers, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1/2 cup dry red wine or additional beef broth
- Hot cooked pasta
- Grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- In a Dutch oven, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat. Brown pork ribs in batches; transfer to a 6-qt. slow cooker.
- Add remaining oil to Dutch oven; saute onion for 2 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute more. Add next 11 ingredients. Pour in broth and red wine; bring to a light boil. Transfer to slow cooker. Cook, covered, until pork is tender, about 6 hours.
- Discard bay leaves. Remove meat from slow cooker; shred or pull apart, discarding bones. Return meat to sauce. Serve over pasta; if desired, sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews forSicilian Meat Sauce
"Wow! I can see why this is a contest winning recipe! It's so unique and full of flavor. I will definitely make this again."