- 4 ounces uncooked thick rice noodles
- 1/2 pound uncooked small shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 cups coleslaw mix
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce or additional reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 to 3 teaspoons chili garlic sauce
- 2 tablespoons chopped salted peanuts
- Chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- Cook noodles according to package directions.
- In a large nonstick skillet or wok, stir-fry shrimp in oil until shrimp turn pink; remove and set aside. Add onion and garlic to the pan. Make a well in the center of the onion mixture; add egg. Stir-fry for 2-3 minutes or until egg is completely set. Add the coleslaw mix, green onions, vinegar, sugar, soy sauce, fish sauce, chili garlic sauce and peanuts; heat through.
- Return shrimp to the pan; heat through. Drain noodles; toss with shrimp mixture. Garnish with cilantro. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews forShrimp Pad Thai
"I think this recipe is fantastic! I've made many pad thai recipes that are far more complicated with far more ingredients that do not pack the flavor punch that this does. I think it is essential to use the fish sauce and peanuts, AND to add cilantro. If shrimp isn't your thing, you could easily add tofu, chicken, or just leave it out. This is replacing all other pad thai recipes I use. Excellent."
"We all (my two toddlers included) loved this dish! (I added an extra egg because my girls love eggs!)"
"So good, my husband says he could eat this every day!"
"I agree with Jenyoun--this is too sweet. Next time I will not add the sugar. I used a pre-prepared cole slaw mix of cabbage and carrots and added fresh bean sprouts. It also needs more spice and heat--next time will add sriracha sauce , red pepper flakes and top if off with fresh lime. I think the fish sauce, peanuts and fresh cilantro are key elements to include in this recipe."
"This had great flavor. Often recipes on here are lacking oomph. Not this one. Even the 6 yr old liked it. One can easily add more chili garlic if they want more spice. I followed recipe as is and it was perfect. Hubby said this needs to be made monthly."
"I absolutely loved this! It was so easy and delicious! I will be adding it to my menu!"
"My 2year old son loved it but my husband and I did not. Too sweet and not enough veggies. I would perhaps try it again with some carrots or bean sprouts thrown and some sriracha."
"Pretty good. I left out the peanuts and I too could not find fish sauce so I used the additional soy sauce. It was good but don't know if I would make again. My husband really enjoyed it."
"Wonderful recipe. This is a family favorite!"
"Awesome flavor! Left off the peanuts. Definitely will do again!"