Shirred Egg Corn Muffins
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1 package (8-1/2 ounces) corn bread/muffin mix
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup crumbled cooked bacon
- 12 large eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 4 teaspoons butter
- 4 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1-1/4 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt, divided
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a small bowl, combine muffin mix, buttermilk and sour cream just until moistened; fold in cheese and bacon. Spoon into 12 greased muffin cups. Crack an egg into each cup; sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake 18-22 minutes or until egg whites are completely set and yolks are still soft. Cool 5 minutes before removing from pan.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat. Stir in 1 cup cheese, thyme and 1/8 teaspoon seasoned salt until cheese is melted.
- Serve muffins with sauce; sprinkle with the remaining cheese and seasoned salt. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1 muffin: 262 calories, 15g fat (7g saturated fat), 244mg cholesterol, 598mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 0 fiber), 14g protein.
Oct 23, 2017
A little odd...but pretty good!Maybe not the most kid friendly, but with some persuasion my 5 and 7 year olds tried it and liked it.I omitted the bacon from the recipe and just served bacon alongside.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.