Shirred Egg Corn Muffins
For our brunches, we bake eggs in cornbread cups. With cheddar sauce and more cheese sprinkled on top, they make a cute little meal-in-one package. —Lisa Speer, Palm Beach, Florida
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1 package (8-1/2 ounces) cornbread/muffin mix
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup crumbled cooked bacon
- 12 large eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 4 teaspoons butter
- 4 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1-1/4 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt, divided
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a small bowl, combine muffin mix, buttermilk and sour cream just until moistened; fold in cheese and bacon. Spoon into 12 greased muffin cups. Crack an egg into each cup; sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake until egg whites are completely set and yolks are still soft, 18-22 minutes. Cool 5 minutes before removing from pan.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir until thickened, 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in 1 cup cheese, thyme and 1/8 teaspoon seasoned salt until cheese is melted.
- Serve muffins with sauce; sprinkle with the remaining cheese and seasoned salt. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1 muffin: 262 calories, 15g fat (7g saturated fat), 244mg cholesterol, 598mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 0 fiber), 14g protein.
Oct 23, 2017
A little odd...but pretty good!Maybe not the most kid friendly, but with some persuasion my 5 and 7 year olds tried it and liked it.I omitted the bacon from the recipe and just served bacon alongside.