I usually double this recipe so I can have one dessert on hand for family and friends who stop by unexpectedly in summer. Each refreshing wedge comes complete with chocolate chip "seeds".
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + freezing
- About 1 pint lime sherbet, slightly softened
- About 1 pint pineapple sherbet, slightly softened
- About 1-1/2 pints raspberry sherbet, slightly softened
- 1/4 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- Line a 1-1/2-qt. round metal bowl with plastic wrap. Press a thin layer of lime sherbet against the bottom and sides of bowl. Freeze, uncovered, until firm. Spread a thin layer of pineapple sherbet evenly over the lime sherbet layer. Freeze until firm. Pack raspberry sherbet into center of sherbet-lined bowl. Smooth the top to resemble a cut watermelon. Cover and freeze until firm, about 8 hours.
- Just before serving, remove bowl from the freezer and uncover. Invert onto a serving plate. Remove bowl and plastic wrap. Cut into wedges; press a few chocolate chips into the raspberry sherbet section of each wedge to resemble watermelon seeds.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 205 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 60mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (35g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Feb 23, 2010
This is so refreshing in the summer, and the kids love to help make it. Personally, I prefer the creaminess of vanilla ice cream in place of the pineapple sherbet, but it's great as written also.