Priced at a cool 20¢ a bowl, this frozen treat is just as refreshing when it's made with orange or raspberry gelatin. "My family especially enjoys it in the summer," relates Julie Bendenstein of Arcola, Indiana.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. + freezing
- 1 package (3 ounces) lime gelatin or flavor of your choice
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 4 cups cold milk
- In a large bowl, dissolve gelatin and sugar in boiling water. Add lemon juice and peel. Whisk in milk. Pour into an ungreased 9-in. square pan. Cover and freeze for 2 hours.
- Transfer to a large bowl; beat for 2 minutes. Return to pan. Cover and freeze for 1 hour; stir.
- Freeze 1 hour longer or until firm. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 211 calories, 4g fat (3g saturated fat), 17mg cholesterol, 84mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (39g sugars, 0 fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Lime Sherbet in Quick Cooking May/June 2003
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.