My family has been harvesting watermelons for generations. Our church group often serves this refreshing treat at the town's watermelon festival.—Lisa McAdoo, Rush Springs, Oklahoma
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + freezing
- 8 cups seeded chopped watermelon
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 2 cups milk
- In a large bowl, combine watermelon, sugar and lemon juice. Chill for 30 minutes; place half in a blender. Blend until smooth; pour into a large bowl. Repeat with the other half; set aside.
- In a saucepan, cook and stir gelatin and water over low heat until gelatin dissolves. Add to watermelon mixture; mix well. Stir in the milk until well blended.
- Freeze in an ice cream freezer according to the manufacturer's directions. Serve immediately or freeze and allow to thaw about 20 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 120 calories, 1g fat (1g saturated fat), 4mg cholesterol, 18mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (25g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Watermelon Sherbet in Country Woman July/August 1996
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.