My family has been harvesting watermelons for generations. Our church group often serves this refreshing treat at the town's watermelon festival.—Lisa McAdoo, Rush Springs, Oklahoma
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + freezing
- 8 cups seeded chopped watermelon
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 2 cups milk
- In a large bowl, combine watermelon, sugar and lemon juice. Chill for 30 minutes; place half in a blender. Blend until smooth; pour into a large bowl. Repeat with the other half; set aside.
- In a saucepan, cook and stir gelatin and water over low heat until gelatin dissolves. Add to watermelon mixture; mix well. Stir in the milk until well blended.
- Freeze in an ice cream freezer according to the manufacturer's directions. Serve immediately or freeze and allow to thaw about 20 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 120 calories, 1g fat (1g saturated fat), 4mg cholesterol, 18mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (25g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Watermelon Sherbet in Country Woman July/August 1996
Oct 17, 2018
I made a half a batch of sherbet with one of our small homegrown watermelons. The recipe was easy to prepare and made just the right amount for the two of us. The sherbet was delicious and I will definitely make it again!