Savory Sausage Stuffing
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 2 hours
Makes16 servings (3/4 cup each)
- 1 pound sage pork sausage
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, finely chopped
- 6 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 2 small onions, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 loaf (13 ounces) French bread, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 17 cups)
- 4 cups cubed multigrain bread (1/2 inch)
- 1 tablespoon rubbed sage
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup white wine or chicken stock
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup sunflower kernels, optional
- In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat 4-6 minutes or until no longer pink, breaking into crumbles; drain. In a stockpot, melt butter over medium heat. Add mushrooms, celery and onions; cook and stir 3-4 minutes or until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Remove from heat.
- Stir in sausage. Add bread cubes and sage; toss to combine. Add chicken stock and wine. Stir in cranberries and, if desired, sunflower kernels. Transfer to a greased 6-qt. slow cooker. Cook, covered, on low 2-3 hours or until heated through, stirring once.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 261 calories, 13g fat (6g saturated fat), 31mg cholesterol, 446mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 2g fiber), 8g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 10, 2017
I pretty much make this same stuffing every year for Thanksgiving. The only difference is, I use the packaged "herb stuffing mix" and I use chopped roasted pecan pieces. I don't put the cranberries in, however, it sounds wonderful! My family LOVE this stuffing!
Nov 23, 2017
This is by far the best stuffing I have ever had...well done Ursula!
Nov 24, 2016
Made this for Thanksgiving this year and we all loved it! Great flavors, the only thing I added was a handful of black olives. Yum!