Chestnut Sausage Stuffing
I discovered this recipe in a four-generation family cookbook. I'm glad I gave it a try. It has become "the" stuffing at our holiday table. —Judi Oudekerk, Buffalo, Minnesota
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 1 pound Jones No Sugar Pork Sausage Roll sausage
- 2 cups finely chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1-1/2 cups finely chopped onion
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 4 cups day-old bread cubes
- 1 package (8-3/4 ounces) whole chestnuts, chopped (about 2 cups)
- In a large skillet, cook the sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain and set aside. In the same skillet, saute the mushrooms, onions and celery in butter until tender. Stir in the sausage, parsley, thyme and pepper. Add broth; heat through. Remove from the heat. Add bread cubes and chestnuts; toss to coat.
- Transfer to a greased shallow 2-1/2-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover; bake 10-15 minutes longer or until heated through. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Editor's Note: These are sweet chestnuts, not water chestnuts.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 239 calories, 16g fat (7g saturated fat), 33mg cholesterol, 426mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as Chestnut Sausage Stuffing in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2004
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.