Sauerkraut Ham Balls
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Cook: 20 min.
- 1 pound ground fully cooked ham
- 1 jar (16 ounces) sauerkraut, drained and chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons plus 3/4 cup dry bread crumbs, divided
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- In a large bowl, combine the ham, sauerkraut, onion and 2 tablespoons bread crumbs. In another bowl, combine the cream cheese, parsley, mustard, garlic powder and pepper; stir into sauerkraut mixture. Chill for 1 hour or overnight.
- Shape into 3/4-in. balls; coat with flour. In a small bowl, beat eggs and milk. Dip ham balls into the egg mixture, then roll in the remaining bread crumbs.
- In a deep-fat fryer or electric skillet, heat oil to 375°. Fry ham balls until golden brown; drain on paper towels.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 7, 2011
Hats off on this recipe. These are the best Kraut balls we ever had. I made them for New Year's Day and my family loved them!!! The only thing I didn't do was put in the parsley because I didn't have it. Making them up again today. If you want a great recipe try this one, there great and easy :)