Saucy Beef with Broccoli
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1/4 cup sherry or additional beef broth
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 2 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1/2 pound beef top sirloin steak, cut into 1/4-inch-thick strips
- 2 cups fresh small broccoli florets
- 8 green onions, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Mix first seven ingredients. In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 teaspoon oil over medium-high heat; stir-fry beef until browned, 1-3 minutes. Remove from pan.
- Stir-fry broccoli in remaining oil until crisp-tender, 3-5 minutes. Add green onions; cook just until tender, 1-2 minutes. Stir cornstarch mixture and add to pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until sauce is thickened, 2-3 minutes. Add beef and heat through.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 313 calories, 11g fat (3g saturated fat), 68mg cholesterol, 816mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 4g fiber), 29g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 11, 2018
This was good but the sauce packet of beef and broccoli in the store is better without being salty. Also, I’ve always made beef and broccoli with a whole onion. That would have gave this rather bland recipe some extra flavor.
Apr 28, 2017
Easy fast recipe. Great for week night dinner!
Dec 2, 2016
Great flavor, cooking time was perfect. Will definitely make again. .. thanks
Apr 8, 2016
LOVE fresh ginger! The ginger really adds flavor to this dish. It was very simple and great for busy weeknights. We served it over some cauliflower rice for a complete, healthy meal!
Mar 16, 2016
Wonderful!! I had to adjust the amount of sugar to 1 tsp. I did not have any sherry, so I used balsamic vinegar. You can adjust any of the ingredients to suit yourself. My husband and I served it over white, steamed rice. We loved it.
Dec 14, 2015
decent recipe, but I felt this was lacking flavor. I added some additional garlic and a dash or two of red pepper flakes. We finished all of the dish, but I don't think I will make again. There wasn't as much flavor as I was hoping for.
Nov 2, 2015
Delicious and so very quick and easy. I bought my sirloin tip steak from Aldi's and it was already sliced in very thin large pieces, they called it carne asade style, and it was really convenient to just slice that in to strips and worked wonderfully for a stir-fry! Very healthy, very filling and delicious! I did add diced baby carrots along with the broccoli and it made a very colorful, appealing presentation!
Oct 29, 2015
Made this tonight, but there was very little sauce as is. I tripled the sauce portion so there was plenty for the rice, too. A touch on the bland side, but a little extra garlic would probably solve the problem. Mushrooms would be good in it, too. We'll make this one again.
Oct 12, 2015
Instead of using fresh garlic I used garlic powder in its place. I thought I gave it really good flavor. My husband loved this meal and I served over brown rice. I will definitely be making this again. It's a healthy dish and very filling.
Sep 29, 2015
Really not much flavor when recipe is followed as is.