Sally Lunn Batter Bread
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + rising Bake: 25 min.
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup warm whole milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 5-1/2 to 6 cups all-purpose flour
- HONEY BUTTER:
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup honey
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, butter, sugar, salt, eggs and 3 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Do not knead. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Stir the dough down. Spoon into a greased and floured 10-in. tube pan. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Bake at 400° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool.
- Combine the honey butter ingredients until smooth. Serve with bread.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 326 calories, 13g fat (8g saturated fat), 73mg cholesterol, 431mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
May 9, 2018
Havent made this bread for years.It's even better than I remembered.Toasted with marmalade is my favourite.Slice and put in freezer. Excellent!This recipe is superb!! You have to try it!Only thing I did different was adding a couple of tblspoons of my sourdough.I sometimes add lemon rind and juice of half a lemon.
Mar 12, 2017
Excellent bread, great with Pot Roast!
May 29, 2016
Can I substitute bread flour for all purpose flour?
Mar 6, 2016
Definitely a make-again. So easy to make and delicious.
Nov 26, 2015
I'm going to make this today. I'll substitute the dry yeast (don't have any) with fresh active yeast. Hope it turns out well...
May 13, 2015
Very tasty! Mine started browning way too fast, so I just covered it with aluminum foil. Thanks for sharing!!
Feb 28, 2015
I have been making this family favorite for years. It is easy and delicious, makes fantastic toast. I prefer to bake it in two loaf pans so that it is easier to slice.
Mar 8, 2014
I was worried as my first rise wasn't very pronounced, but I went ahead with it and gave it additional time on the 2nd. It baked quickly and tastes great. flaky crusty. Great with regular butter. I'd definitely try again and use fresher yeast just in case that was my problem!
Mar 6, 2014
Pretty good bread. With it being a slightly sweet bread, we liked it better with regular butter more than the honey butter.
Mar 5, 2014
Sounds wonderful - has anybody tried to substitute and make gluten free? I'm new to gluten free but have to do it - if anybody has pls leave a comment!!! Thanks!!!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.