With the abundance of zucchini my family has in the fall, this is the perfect dish to use what we have. Cheesy and rich, this is a warm, classic breakfast dish sure to please! —Colleen Doucette, Truro, Nova Scotia
Featured In: 62 Ways to Eat the Rainbow
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3 large zucchini, halved lengthwise and cut into 3/4-inch slices
- 1 each medium red, yellow and orange peppers, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1 loaf (1 pound) unsliced crusty Italian bread
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Asiago cheese
- 6 large eggs
- 2 cups fat-free milk
- Preheat oven to 400°. Toss zucchini and peppers with oil and seasonings; transfer to a 15x10x1-in. pan. Roast until tender, 25-30 minutes, stirring once. Stir in tomato; cool slightly.
- Trim ends from bread; cut bread into 1-in. slices. In a greased 13x9-in. baking dish, layer half of each of the following: bread, roasted vegetables and cheeses. Repeat layers. Whisk together eggs and milk; pour evenly over top. Refrigerate, covered, 6 hours or overnight.
Preheat oven to 375°. Remove casserole from refrigerator while oven heats. Bake, uncovered, until golden brown, 40-50 minutes. Let stand 5-10 minutes before cutting.
Freeze option: Cover and freeze unbaked casserole. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 375°. Bake casserole as directed, increasing time as necessary to heat through and for a thermometer inserted in center to read 165°. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Roasted Vegetable Strata in Healthy Cooking Annual Recipes Annual 2017, p69
Reviews forRoasted Vegetable Strata
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jul. 29, 2017
"Very good, I added some eggplant in place of some of the zucchini."