I made this recipe for an assignment in culinary school—my first time making barbecue sauce. I have to say, it was the best barbecue sauce I had in a long time! The hint of coffee livens up the sweet barbecue sauce perfectly. —Evan Haut, Canton, Ohio
Recommended: 5-Ingredient Slow Cooker Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/4 cup butter
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 12 plum tomatoes, peeled, chopped and drained
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons instant coffee granules
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon adobo seasoning
- 1 teaspoon harissa chili paste
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- In a Dutch oven, heat butter over medium heat. Add garlic and shallot; cook and stir until softened, 5-7 minutes. Add brown sugar. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, stirring occasionally, until deep golden brown, 15-17 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients; simmer 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Puree sauce using an immersion blender, or cool slightly and puree in batches in a blender. Strain through a fine-mesh strainer. Return to pan; cook and stir until liquid is reduced by a third, 30-40 minutes.
- Refrigerate, covered, until serving. Serve with grilled meats. Yield: 4 cups.
Originally published as Red Eye Barbecue Sauce in Taste of Home June/July 2017