Raspberry Bavarian Cake
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 5 packages (12 ounces each) frozen unsweetened raspberries, thawed
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 1/3 cup plus 1/2 cup cold water, divided
- 38 ladyfingers, split
- 2 tablespoons seedless raspberry jam
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1 carton (12 ounces) frozen reduced-fat whipped topping, thawed, divided
- In a large saucepan, combine raspberries and confectioners' sugar. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 5-10 minutes or until bubbly and sugar is dissolved, stirring occasionally. Mash and strain raspberries, reserving syrup. Discard seeds; set aside.
- In a small saucepan, sprinkle gelatin over 1/3 cup cold water; let stand for 1 minute. Heat over low heat stirring until gelatin is completely dissolved. Stir in remaining cold water and raspberry juice. Cover and refrigerate for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, line the bottom and sides of a 9-in. springform pan with ladyfingers. In a small bowl, combine raspberry jam and water; spread over ladyfingers lining bottom of pan. Fold 3-3/4 cups whipped topping into raspberry mixture. Pour into prepared pan. Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours or until firm. Garnish with remaining whipped topping.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 223 calories, 3g fat (3g saturated fat), 35mg cholesterol, 121mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (29g sugars, 3g fiber), 4g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jun 27, 2012
I really only have a question to ask and hope someone can answer it. I DO grow my own raspberries because all my kids want for Christmas each year is homemade raspberry jam. I'm wondering how many cups of fresh raspberries I would need for this recipe? I'm wondering if five cups of fresh would be enough to equal the 5 pkg. of frozen berries? Can anyone help me with that??
Sep 11, 2011
I made this for a luncheon this weekend and it was a hit. I too used just two pkgs of raspberries and one cup of powdered sugar. It set up fine. I did add a half tsp of raspberry flavoring because I used less berries than called for. It had great raspberry flavor.
Apr 3, 2011
Unless you grow your own raspberries, this is an expensive dessert to make (5 12 oz. bags of raspberries at an average price of $2.79 a bag). I only used 2 12 oz bags of raspberries and 1 cup of the confectioners' sugar but used the listed 2 envelopes of gelatin and 1 12 oz container of whipped topping and it came out fine.
Apr 1, 2011
I'm on the fence with this recipe. The amount of frozen berries to reduce produced way too much juice for the amount of gelatin. The filling could be a bit firmer.The cake has great berry flavor! Would like to know if this dessert could be frozen.