Ramen Noodle Cranberry Coleslaw
The deep red of the cranberries and red cabbage makes this a perfect fit for a Christmas spread. Adults and children love this dish, and I’m often asked to bring it to potlucks and other big dinners. Refrigerate any leftovers—it’ll still taste great for a day or two, if you can keep people out of it that long! —Cornelia Cree, Waynesville, North Carolina
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling
- 1 cup peanut or canola oil
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 head Chinese or napa cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 small head red cabbage, shredded
- 1 small red onion, halved and sliced
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup salted peanuts or sunflower kernels
- 1 package (3 ounces) ramen noodles
- Whisk together oil, sugar and vinegar until smooth. In a very large bowl, combine cabbages, red onion and cranberries. Pour 1 cup dressing over coleslaw; toss to coat. Refrigerate, covered, several hours or overnight. Cover and refrigerate remaining dressing.
- Drain coleslaw. Discard seasoning packet from noodles or save for another use. Break noodles into small pieces; add to coleslaw. Stir in peanuts and remaining dressing; toss to coat.