Pumpkin-Pecan Spice Cake
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 2 cups crushed vanilla wafers (about 60 wafers)
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 package spice cake mix (regular size)
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 6 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1-1/3 cups butter, softened
- 6 cups confectioners' sugar
- 4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup caramel ice cream topping
- Pecan halves
- In a large bowl, combine the wafers, pecans and butter until crumbly. Press into three greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans.
- For cake, in another large bowl, beat the cake mix, pumpkin, eggs and butter; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on high for 2 minutes. Spread over crust in each pan.
- Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pans for 10 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- For filling, in a small bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Add confectioners' sugar and vanilla; beat until smooth.
- Spread filling between layers (crumb side down) and on the sides and top of cake. Spread caramel topping over top, allowing some to drip down the sides. Garnish with pecan halves. Store in refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 614 calories, 36g fat (18g saturated fat), 111mg cholesterol, 471mg sodium, 72g carbohydrate (56g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 7, 2017
Made this twice since I saw the recipe. Second time was late at night and I made the mistake of purchasing Vanilla Oreos instead of vanilla wafer, NOT a bad mistake. Did put a less sweet cream cheese frosting on the cake. Was a big hit both ways, this cake go a long way, it is so rich. Will be making it again!
Sep 5, 2017
Sep 3, 2017
Has anyone tried making this recipe in a 9 by 13 pan instead of the three cake pans? I would like to do it this way for ease in transporting it.
Nov 24, 2016
This was great. I did as another reviewer recommended and did more crust and it may have been a little bit too much, however this turned out great and was loved by all at Thanksgiving . I also doubled the frosting. I will be making this again!
Nov 17, 2014
I LOVED this cake!! A few things: I would make a bit more of the crumb mixture as it was difficult to coat all of the pans with said amount. (about 1/2 more). I lined my pans with parchment paper and baking spray, it worked great!!! I would double the amount of cream cheese frosting, this amount is very small to spread over an already crumbly surface! I WILL make this again!!!!!!
Dec 27, 2013
this cake is not for the dieter...the frosting is just wonderful with the dense, moistness of the pumpkin cake. the cookie pecan crumble adds lots of texture and interest to this cake.
Oct 31, 2013
this cake is awesome. I have been making it for over a decade and everyone loves it who has ever tasted it. It is a little more work but it looks very nice when you get it put together and is delicious.
Oct 29, 2013
Won't make again
Apr 29, 2013
This cake is fantastic! my daughters boyfriend doesn't like cake but he loved this cake. It went so fast I only got one piece. This I will make again and again.Thank you!!!
Nov 23, 2011
This is such a moist and delicious cake....you won't be disappointed!!!