This yummy pumpkin bread won first prize in the Acorn Pantry Bread Contest. It melts in your mouth, and the recipe easily doubles for gift-giving. —Renee' Nanez, Frederic, Wisconsin
Featured In: 50 Cozy Bakes That Begin With Canned Pumpkin
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2-1/4 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 cups canned pumpkin
- 3 large eggs
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup finely chopped crystallized ginger
- 10 gingersnap cookies
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 6 tablespoons cold butter
- 1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large heavy saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Heat 5-7 minutes or until golden brown, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Transfer to a large bowl; cool slightly. Add sugar, pumpkin and eggs; beat until well blended.
- In another bowl, whisk flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, baking powder and salt; gradually beat into pumpkin mixture. Fold in walnuts and ginger.
- Transfer to five greased 5-3/4x3x2-in. loaf pans. Place cookies, brown sugar, flour, cinnamon and nutmeg in a food processor; pulse until cookies are finely ground. Add butter; pulse until crumbly. Sprinkle cookie mixture and, if desired, walnuts over batter.
- Bake 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool. Yield: 5 loaves (6 slices each).
Originally published as Pumpkin Bread with Gingerbread Topping in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2015, p76
Reviews forPumpkin Bread with Gingerbread Topping
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 18, 2017
"What can you substitute for the crystalized ginger?"