Pumpkin Pecan Loaves
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 1 hour + cooling
Makes2 loaves (16 slices each)
- 3-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 can (15 ounces) pumpkin
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten, room temperature
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- CARAMEL GLAZE:
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a bowl, combine the first 6 ingredients. In a separate bowl, combine the pumpkin, oil, eggs and water; mix well. Stir into dry ingredients just until combined; fold in the pecans.
- Spoon into 2 greased 9x5-in. loaf pans. Bake at 350° for 60-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
- For glaze, combine the butter, sugars and cream in a saucepan. Cook until sugar is dissolved. Cool for 20 minutes. Stir in the confectioners' sugar and vanilla until smooth. Drizzle over cooled loaves.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 249 calories, 11g fat (3g saturated fat), 29mg cholesterol, 212mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (25g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Nov 18, 2019
Seem like a lot of sugar. Has anyone made it with, say, 2 cups of sugar?
Oct 9, 2019
I made this for a family gathering and needless to say, none came back home with me. They absolutely loved it and raved over it. I will definitely make it again this fall.
Sep 30, 2019
This is a fabulous recipe that creates a beautiful batter! I got one 5x9 and two 4x8 loaves out of one batch. Bread is moist and delicious with an irresistible glaze. My smaller loaves baked well but my large loaf was burnt on the corners and undercooked in the middle. Next time I’ll leave it in for longer (cover with foil) or bake at 325.
Aug 23, 2019
I love this recipe overall and make it year round. I cut the sugar back 1 cup and add homemade vegan cinnamon chips. I typically double this recipe when I bake. It will make 5 decent loaves plus’s 2 minis. I do this because all of the loaves will fit in my oven. I set the timer for 1 hour and they all come out done evenly.
Dec 12, 2017
Made this for clients and they all just love it!! Made one for the family too and was gone in a day. Awesome bread!!
Nov 22, 2016
Like someone else on here, I too would like a time estimate for a smaller loaf in one of those smaller disposable loaf pans. I'm guessing 25 or 30 minutes.??
Sep 25, 2016
I've made many pumpkin breads, muffins, etc. This one is disappointing. There's too much sugar, which masks the flavors that make pumpkin bread so wonderful. And that's before adding the glaze! Keep searching--there are plenty of better recipes out there.Also, the glaze is not white.
Dec 17, 2015
Delicious! And all items I had in my fridge/pantry, except for the cream. The loaf is also good without the icing (though it gives a grander appearance and richer taste), or the icing could easily be halved because with the given amount is enough to coat the loaves and still have leftovers.
Dec 16, 2014
This has been my go-to pumpkin bread recipe for years. The icing is so delicious and the bread is moist and flavorful. Works well for mini loaves or muffins too.
Nov 19, 2014
Best pumpkin bread. The caramel glaze makes it a special treat, and the loaves raise beautifully. I made it in smaller loaves, and got 6 for gift giving.