Pumpkin Apple Bread
My grandsons think this seasonal loaf is pretty special—so much so they took it with them to college when they knew they wouldn't be home for the holidays. It's destined to become a family tradition in your home, too. —Victoria Cooklin, Massillon, Ohio
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling
Makes2 loaves (16 slices each)
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 4 eggs
- 2-1/4 cups sugar
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 2 cups chopped peeled tart apples
- 1 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup cold butter
- In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. In another large bowl, whisk the eggs, sugar, pumpkin and oil. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in apples and raisins. Transfer to two greased 9x5-in. loaf pans.
- For topping, in a small bowl, combine the sugar, flour and cinnamon. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs; sprinkle over each loaf.
- Bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 205 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 30mg cholesterol, 154mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (22g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Pumpkin Apple Bread in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2012