Provolone Ziti Bake
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 65 min.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (28 ounces each) Italian crushed tomatoes
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup dry red wine or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 package (16 ounces) ziti or small tube pasta
- 8 slices provolone cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a 6-qt. stockpot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir 2-3 minutes or until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in tomatoes, water, wine, sugar and basil. Bring to a boil; remove from heat. Stir in uncooked ziti.
- Transfer to a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake, covered, 1 hour. Top with cheese. Bake, uncovered, 5-10 minutes longer or until ziti is tender and cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 381 calories, 8g fat (4g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 763mg sodium, 60g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 4g fiber), 16g protein.
May 10, 2020
This is an excellent meatless main dish. No one missed the meat in this one! It’s filling, and all it needs is a crisp green salad or some garlic bread and you’ve got a great, easy, weeknight dinner. I didn’t have sliced provolone but I did have shredded Italian blend cheese so I used that and it was perfect! I do recommend using the red wine and not the chicken broth in its place. The red wine gives it such a richness in flavor that can’t be beat! It reheats well, so any leftovers would make an excellent lunch the next day.
Apr 15, 2019
Just an ordinary pasta bake. I boiled my noodles before baking.
Apr 27, 2017
Liked the idea of the provolne, but wasn't crazy about the pasta. Seemed too mushy and too much sauce. Guess I like my pasta cooked the traditional way.
May 8, 2016
Pretty easy to make, but the taste was just ok.
Jan 22, 2016
This recipe is very easy and quite filling. I bought diced tomatoes by mistake, but they worked out just fine. It makes a lot of pasta, but leftovers are good, too! We'll keep this recipe, and I'll be making it again!
Jan 3, 2016
This is by far one of the best baked pasta dishes I've made! I did add some salt and additional spices to our liking, but loved the end result - perfect pasta and nice thick sauce!
Jan 1, 2016
Very easy, nice flavor, large portion and both my daughter and husband loved despite no meat. Great for meatless Mondays!
Nov 5, 2014
Super easy, the oven does all the work. This also freezes well for lunches on the go later on.
Jun 13, 2014
Super easy to make! I cut this recipe in half and used crushed tomatoes with basil so I substituted basil with dried Italian seasoning. Sauce was a bit sweet for my daughter's taste so may eliminate the sugar next time. This is quick to prepare so had plenty of time to make a salad to go with!
Oct 11, 2012
Made half recipe. Followed recipe with 2 exceptions. 1) I added a small sweet red pepper, chopped. 2) I added 1/4 lb. of sweet Italian sausage cooked to one side of the dish (wife does not like meat). I used the wine. Next time I would add additional cheese (cheese lovers). This was simply/easy and very good.