Pressure-Cooker Lamb Pitas with Yogurt Sauce
The spiced lamb in these stuffed pita pockets goes perfectly with cool cucumber and yogurt. It's like having your own Greek gyro stand in the kitchen! —Angela Leinenbach, Mechanicsville, Virginia
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 15 min. + releasing
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pounds lamb stew meat (3/4-inch pieces)
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 1 medium cucumber
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 16 pita pocket halves, warmed
- 4 plum tomatoes, sliced
- Select saute or browning setting on a 6-qt. electric pressure cooker. Adjust for medium heat; add oil. When oil is hot, brown lamb in batches. Add wine to pressure cooker. Cook 30 seconds, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Press cancel. Add onion, garlic, 1 teaspoon salt, oregano and basil. Return lamb to pressure cooker.
- Lock lid; close pressure-release valve. Adjust to pressure-cook on high for 15 minutes. Let pressure release naturally for 10 minutes; quick-release any remaining pressure. Press cancel.
- Select saute setting; adjust for low heat. Add tomato paste; simmer, uncovered, until mixture is slightly thickened, 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Press cancel.
- To serve, dice enough cucumber to measure 1 cup; thinly slice remaining cucumber. Combine diced cucumber with yogurt and remaining salt. Fill pitas with lamb mixture, tomatoes, sliced cucumbers and yogurt mixture.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled lamb mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth or water if necessary.
Nutrition Facts2 filled pita halves: 383 calories, 11g fat (3g saturated fat), 78mg cholesterol, 766mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 31g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
Originally published as Middle Eastern Sandiches in Skinny Instant Pot