Pressure-Cooker Autumn Apple Chicken
Fill the whole house with the aroma of chicken with apples and barbecue sauce. This is a meal you won’t want to wait to dig into.—Caitlyn Hauser, Brookline, New Hampshire
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 4 bone-in chicken thighs (about 1-1/2 pounds), skin removed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 cup apple cider or juice
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 medium Fuji or Gala apples, coarsely chopped
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Select saute or browning setting on a 6-qt. electric pressure cooker. Adjust for medium heat; add oil. When oil is hot, brown chicken; remove and keep warm.
- Add cider, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Stir in onion, barbecue sauce, honey, garlic and chicken. Press cancel. Lock lid; close pressure-release valve. Adjust to pressure-cook on high for 10 minutes. Let pressure release naturally for 5 minutes; quick-release any remaining pressure. Press cancel. A thermometer inserted in chicken should read at least 170°.
- Remove chicken; keep warm. Select saute setting and adjust for low heat. Add apples; simmer, stirring constantly, until apples are tender, about 10 minutes. Serve with chicken.