Pressure-Cooker Carolina-Style Vinegar BBQ Chicken
I live in Georgia but I appreciate the tangy, sweet and slightly spicy taste of Carolina vinegar chicken. —Ramona Parris, Acworth, Georgia
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium chicken base
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 6 whole wheat hamburger buns, split, optional
- In a 6-qt. electric pressure cooker, mix the first six ingredients; add chicken. Lock lid; make sure vent is closed. Select manual setting; adjust pressure to high and set time for 5 minutes.
- When finished cooking, allow pressure to naturally release for 8 minutes, then quick-release any remaining pressure according to manufacturer's directions.
- Remove chicken; cool slightly. Reserve 1 cup cooking juices; discard remaining juices. Shred chicken with two forks. Combine with reserved juices. If desired, serve chicken mixture on buns.
Originally published as South Carolina Style Vinegar Chicken in Slow Cooker 2017
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.