Peppered Filets with Horseradish Cream Sauce
This beef tenderloin recipe is a family favorite that's quick and always satisfying. The creamy sauce has the perfect blend of horseradish and mustard. —Marie Rizzio, Interlochen, Michigan
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 4 beef tenderloin steaks (6 ounces each)
- 1 tablespoon plus 1/8 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons horseradish
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Sprinkle steaks with 1 tablespoon pepper and 1/2 teaspoon salt. In a large skillet over medium heat, cook steaks in 1 tablespoon butter for 4-5 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°).
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, melt remaining butter. Stir in the flour and remaining salt and pepper until smooth; gradually add cream. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in horseradish and mustard. Serve with steaks.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 525 calories, 39g fat (22g saturated fat), 167mg cholesterol, 589mg sodium, 4g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 38g protein.
Originally published as Peppered Beef Tenderloin with Horseradish Cream Sauce in Country Woman December/January 2011
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.