These cookies have a nutty, slightly sweet taste. They go well served with coffee or tea at festive get-togethers.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling Bake: 25 min./batch
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 large egg plus 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups ground pecans, divided
- 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 large egg white, beaten
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Combine the egg, yolk and vanilla; add to flour mixture. Shape dough into a ball. Chill for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- Meanwhile, for filling, combine 1-1/4 cups pecans, 1/4 cup sugar, zest and milk; set aside. Divide dough into four portions; shape each into 12 balls. Flatten each ball into a 2-1/2-in. circle; top each with a scant teaspoon of filling. Fold dough over filling; seal edges. Curve ends to form crescents.
- Place on ungreased baking sheets. Combine remaining pecans and sugar. Brush egg white over tops; sprinkle with pecan mixture. Bake at 350° for 17-20 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 165 calories, 11g fat (5g saturated fat), 39mg cholesterol, 133mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Pecan Horns in Country Woman Christmas Volume 1