Hungarian Walnut Cookies
As a child, I always looked forward to eating these goodies at Christmastime. Now I make them for my own family. —Sharon Kurtz, Emmaus, Pennsylvania
Total TimePrep: 50 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 large egg whites
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3-1/2 cups ground walnuts
- Confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, cream butter and cream cheese until blended. Gradually beat flour into creamed mixture. Divide dough into three portions. Shape each into a disk; wrap in plastic. Refrigerate 1 hour or until firm enough to roll.
- Preheat oven to 375°. For filling, in a small bowl, beat egg whites and vanilla on medium speed until foamy. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on medium after each addition until well blended. Stir in walnuts.
- Generously coat a work surface with confectioners' sugar. Roll one portion of dough into a 12-in. square about 1/8 in. thick, sprinkling with additional confectioners' sugar as necessary to coat well. Cut into sixteen 3-in. squares.
- Shape 2 teaspoons filling into a small log about 2 in. long. Place diagonally onto a square. Overlap opposite corners of dough over filling; pinch tightly to seal. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Repeat with remaining dough and filling.
- Bake until bottoms are golden brown, 9-11 minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Dust with confectioners’ sugar.
- To Make Ahead: Dough can be made 2 days in advance. Wrap in plastic and place in a resealable bag. Store in the refrigerator.
- Freeze option: Freeze cookies in freezer containers. To use, thaw before serving. If desired, dust with additional confectioners' sugar.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 129 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 49mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Kiffles in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2016
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.