Peach & Blueberry Trifle
This crowd-pleasing summer trifle recipe can be made the night before. I love that you can be flexible with the ingredients. Add any in-season fruit you like! —Raymonde Bourgeois, Swastika, Ontario
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Cook: 15 min. + chilling
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 6 large egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 loaf (16 ounces) frozen pound cake, thawed and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup orange liqueur
- 4 to 6 cups sliced peeled peaches or frozen unsweetened sliced peaches
- 2 to 4 cups fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- Sweetened whipped cream
- Additional sliced peeled peaches and fresh blueberries
- In a large saucepan, mix sugar, cornstarch and salt. Whisk in milk. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat to low; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from heat.
- In a small bowl, whisk a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks; return all to pan, whisking constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes. Immediately transfer to a clean bowl; stir in orange zest and vanilla. Cool 30 minutes. Press waxed paper onto surface of filling. Refrigerate until cold, about 1 hour.
- To assemble, place half of the cake on the bottom of a 4-qt. trifle bowl or glass bowl; drizzle with 2 tablespoons orange liqueur. Layer with half of the peaches and blueberries, 1/4 cup almonds and half of the custard. Repeat layers. Refrigerate, covered, until serving. Top with whipped cream and additional peaches and blueberries.