- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2-1/2 cups frozen peas (about 10 ounces)
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Optional toppings: plain yogurt, croutons, shaved Parmesan cheese and cracked pepper
- In a small saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add quinoa. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until water is absorbed, 12-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat; saute onion until tender. Stir in peas and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until peas are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Puree soup using an immersion blender. Or, cool slightly and puree soup in a blender; return to pan. Stir in quinoa, salt and pepper; heat through. Serve with toppings as desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forPea Soup with Quinoa
"I simmered the onions, broth and some of the peas for hours, then blended them and a batch of cooked peas in the blender and added the Quinoa. It came out very tasty and my family loved it. You want to make sure the soup is slightly thick and not watery. Goes well with cheddar-chive biscuits to dip into soup."
"Not a keeper for us. Can't say we hated it, but can't say we loved it either. This was the first time I've ever had pea soup or quinoa. I'm not sure which part of it I didn't like, or if it was the combination. I'll keep looking for another quinoa recipe."
"I have made this recipe many times and we enjoy it so much. Excellent flavor and so good for you. Making it again right now and added chopped celery and carrots. I do add chicken stock to the quinoa when I cook that also. Recipe is great as is also."
"I tried this with my 3 year old daughter. We both loved it. It looks like green mush so I told her it was Tinkerbell soup since that's what she's into. Once she tried a bite, we were fine."
"I made this last night, and both my 5 year old and husband loved it. I added Hormel low fat bacon bits (2 tablespoons). The quinoa made it very satisfying as a main dish."