Vegetarian Pea Soup
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 7 hours
Makes8 servings (2 quarts)
- 1 package (16 ounces) dried green split peas, rinsed
- 1 medium leek (white portion only), chopped
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium potato, peeled and chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 cartons (32 ounces each) reduced-sodium vegetable broth
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine all ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours or until peas are tender. Discard bay leaf. Stir before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 248 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 702mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 16g fiber), 15g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jun 8, 2013
I made this soup tonight. After 7-1/2 hours in my slow cooker, most of the liquid had been absorbed and my soup looked like green mashed potatoes after I stirred it. I added about 1/2 cup of water to thin it out before serving it. This soup has very pleasing flavors and it was filling. I will make this again.
Jun 20, 2012
The recipe only had 2 stars but it still sounded good to me. My kids and family LOVED it. We are making it again tonight for the 3rd time in 3 weeks. The leeks add a great taste to it.