Total TimePrep: 35 min. + chilling Bake: 15 min.
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 12 whole cashews
- 24 striped chocolate kisses, unwrapped
- 24 semisweet chocolate chips
- In a large bowl, beat butter, peanut butter and brown sugar until blended. Beat in egg and vanilla. In another bowl, mix flour, oats, baking powder and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture.
- If necessary, cover and refrigerate dough 1 hour or until firm enough to shape. Divide dough in half; shape one portion into an 8-in.-long roll. Mix melted chocolate into remaining dough. Roll chocolate dough between two sheets of waxed paper into an 8-in. square. Place plain roll on chocolate dough. Wrap chocolate dough around plain dough, pinching together at the seam to seal. Wrap in plastic; refrigerate 3 hours or until firm.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Unwrap and cut dough crosswise into 24 slices 3/8 in. thick. To make owls, place two slices side by side on an ungreased baking sheet; pinch the top of each slice for ears. Place a cashew between slices for a beak. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Bake 12-15 minutes or until set. Cool on pans 5 minutes before removing to wire racks. While cookies are warm, place two kisses on each cookie, pointed side down, for eyes. (Kisses will melt slightly.) Top each kiss with a chocolate chip. Cool completely.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 cookie (calculated without decorations): 380 calories, 23g fat (10g saturated fat), 43mg cholesterol, 332mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (20g sugars, 3g fiber), 9g protein.
Nov 17, 2014
So adorable! I just had to make these. Delicious combination of flavors.
Sep 17, 2014
These were fun and creative to put together. I do favor drop cookies bc of how fast they are to put together. These are time consuming but they taste great and are really festive.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.