Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 package (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups chopped pecans, toasted
- 1-1/4 cups caramel bits
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 teaspoons shortening
- Preheat oven to 350°. Microwave butter on high until melted. Add chocolate chips and milk; microwave until chips are melted, stirring every 30 seconds. Stir in vanilla. Add flour; mix well. Stir in pecans and caramel bits.
- Drop dough by tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto parchment-lined baking sheets. Bake until edges are set, 7-9 minutes. Cool on pans 2 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- For icing, microwave chocolate chips and shortening on high until melted. Drizzle over cooled cookies. Store in an airtight container.
Editor's NoteTo toast nuts, bake in a shallow pan in a 350° oven for 5-10 minutes or cook in a skillet over low heat until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 121 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 24mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Dec 17, 2017
I find it interesting that Kansas's favorite cookie comes from a recipes from a lady in Arkansas.
Jan 15, 2017
I made these cookies for my co-workers and had lots of compliments and requests for the recipe. They are super fudgy and easy to make. I made some adjustments, choosing to use the stove top to melt the chocolate and mix the dough. Be sure to take the cookies out on time--they will not appear to be cooked, but will firm up after cooling. I also added a white chocolate drizzle to mine, which looked pretty.
Dec 22, 2016
These are excellant cookies. I made them for Thanksgiving and have made them several times since then. They are a mixture of cookie and candy. Several friends have asked for the recipe also.