Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 package (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups chopped pecans, toasted
- 1-1/4 cups caramel bits
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 teaspoons shortening
- Preheat oven to 350°. Microwave butter on high until melted. Add chocolate chips and milk; microwave until chips are melted, stirring every 30 seconds. Stir in vanilla. Add flour; mix well. Stir in pecans and caramel bits.
- Drop dough by tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Bake until edges are set, 7-9 minutes. Cool on pans 2 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- For icing, microwave chocolate chips and shortening on high until melted. Drizzle over cooled cookies. Store in an airtight container.
Editor's NoteTo toast nuts, bake in a shallow pan in a 350° oven for 5-10 minutes or cook in a skillet over low heat until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 121 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 24mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Dec 17, 2017
I find it interesting that Kansas's favorite cookie comes from a recipes from a lady in Arkansas.
Jan 15, 2017
I made these cookies for my co-workers and had lots of compliments and requests for the recipe. They are super fudgy and easy to make. I made some adjustments, choosing to use the stove top to melt the chocolate and mix the dough. Be sure to take the cookies out on time--they will not appear to be cooked, but will firm up after cooling. I also added a white chocolate drizzle to mine, which looked pretty.
Dec 22, 2016
These are excellant cookies. I made them for Thanksgiving and have made them several times since then. They are a mixture of cookie and candy. Several friends have asked for the recipe also.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.