Apricot Sesame Cookies
This recipe is a favorite of mine to make for special occasions. The apricot cookies freeze beautifully, so they can conveniently be made ahead of time. Substitute peach, strawberry or raspberry jam if you like.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 10 min./batch
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 6 tablespoons apricot jam
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in extract. Combine flour and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture and mix well.
- Roll into 1-in. balls; roll in sesame seeds. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Using the end of a wooden spoon handle, make an 3/8-in. deep indentation in the center of each ball. Fill with jam. Bake at 400° for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 145 calories, 9g fat (5g saturated fat), 20mg cholesterol, 129mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Apricot Sesame Cookies in Best of Country Cookies
Dec 18, 2010
I have made these several times and I always come home with an empty cookie tray. I also replace the almond extract with other extracts to compliment the jam in the center.