Apricot-Filled Sandwich Cookies
I bake these delightful cookies every year for Christmas and when I share a tray of my homemade treats with the faculty at school, these are always the first to disappear! I've even had requests to make them for wedding receptions.—Deb Lyon, Bangor, Pennsylvania
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
Makesabout 4 dozen
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 2 cups dried apricots
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 teaspoon shortening
- 4 teaspoons confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cream butter and 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs. In another bowl, combine flour and walnuts; gradually beat into creamed mixture.
- Shape into 1-1/2-in.-thick logs. Cut crosswise into 1/4-in. slices. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake until bottoms begin to brown, 10-12 minutes. Cool completely on pans on wire racks.
- Meanwhile, for filling, combine apricots and water in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir until apricots are tender, about 10 minutes. Drain; cool to room temperature. Pulse 1/4 cup granulated sugar, cinnamon and apricots in a blender or food processor until smooth. Spread over bottoms of half of the cookies; cover with remaining cookies.
- For topping, melt chocolate chips and shortening in a microwave; stir until smooth. Drizzle over cookies. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar.
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich cookie: 119 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 34mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Apricot Gems in Cookies & Bars Holiday 2012 Bookazine
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.