Lemon Curd Cookies
I've made these cookies for years. I like to give them out to family and friends. —Carole Vogel, Allison Park, Pennsylvania
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min. + cooling
Makesabout 1-1/2 dozen
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup ground pecans, toasted
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 4 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 6 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- Confectioners' sugar
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and extracts. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking soda and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Stir in pecans. Divide dough in half; shape into logs. Wrap each in plastic. Refrigerate until firm, 1-2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°. On a floured surface, roll each portion to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 3-in. fluted round cookie cutter. With a floured 1/2-in. round cookie cutter, cut out centers of half the cookies. Place solid and window cookies 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake until lightly browned, 10-12 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- For filling, combine sugar, cornstarch and salt in a small saucepan. Stir in lemon juice until smooth. Over medium heat, cook and stir until slightly thickened and bubbly, about 2 minutes. Stir a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks. Return all to pan. Bring to a gentle boil, stirring constantly until mixture reaches 160° and coats the back of a metal spoon, about 2 minutes longer. Remove from heat; stir in butter and lemon peel. Pour into a bowl; cover surface with plastic wrap. Chill 2-3 hours (mixture will be thick).
- Spread 1 tablespoon filling on bottoms of solid cookies; top with window cookies, pressing down lightly. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar. Refrigerate.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 353 calories, 20g fat (10g saturated fat), 97mg cholesterol, 264mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (25g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Lemon Curd Cookies in Taste of Home February/March 2005