A sweet frosting glaze, colorful candies and well-placed almond slices turn these sugar cookie diamonds into a big batch of Santa’s helpers. TIP: Bake a batch of the adorable elves as a classroom treat or use a few to brighten each of your cookie trays. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Bake: 10 min. + cooling
- 1/2 tube refrigerated sugar cookie dough, softened
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 10 teaspoons water
- 4 teaspoons meringue powder
- Assorted food coloring
- Assorted sprinkles, candies and almond slices
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a small bowl, beat cookie dough and flour until combined. Roll out on a lightly floured surface to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 1-3/4x3-1/4-in. diamond cookie cutter. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake 7-9 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, combine confectioners' sugar, water and meringue powder; beat on low speed just until blended. Beat on high 4-5 minutes or until stiff peaks form. Divide icing into portions and tint as desired. Keep unused icing covered at all times with a damp cloth. If necessary, beat again on high speed to restore texture.
- Frost and decorate cookies as desired with assorted sprinkles and candies; add almonds for ears.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 101 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 4mg cholesterol, 43mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Elf Cookies in Quick Cooking November/December 2005
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.