A sweet frosting glaze, colorful candies and well-placed almond slices turn these sugar cookie diamonds into a big batch of Santa’s helpers. TIP: Bake a batch of the adorable elves as a classroom treat or use a few to brighten each of your cookie trays. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
- 1/2 (16.5 oz) tube refrigerated sugar cookie dough, softened
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 10 teaspoons water
- 4 teaspoons meringue powder
- Assorted food coloring
- Assorted sprinkles, candies and almond slices
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a small bowl, beat cookie dough and flour until combined. Roll out on a lightly floured surface to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 1-3/4x3-1/4-in. diamond cookie cutter. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake until edges are golden brown, 7-9 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, combine confectioners' sugar, water and meringue powder; beat on low speed just until blended. Beat on high until stiff peaks form, 4-5 minutes. Divide icing into portions and tint as desired. Keep unused icing covered at all times with a damp cloth. If necessary, beat again on high speed to restore texture.
- Frost and decorate cookies as desired with assorted sprinkles and candies; add almonds for ears.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 101 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 4mg cholesterol, 43mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.