Oregano Green Beans with Toasted Pine Nuts
This super easy side dish is a great picnic or potluck recipe. It's a beautiful, surprising dish that leaves guests and even family raving. You can substitute any kind of nut for the pine nuts, or even replace them with fresh berries. —Wolfgang Hanau, West Palm Beach, Florida
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 5 hours
- 2 pounds fresh thin French green beans, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup pine nuts or sliced almonds, toasted
- In a 6-qt. slow cooker, combine all ingredients except pine nuts. Cook, covered, on low until beans are tender, 5-6 hours. Remove with a slotted spoon. Top with pine nuts.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 94 calories, 6g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 191mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 4g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Originally published as Fresh Oregano and toasted Pine Nut French String Beans in Simple & Delicious June/July 2019
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.