These soft and sweet twists have a long shelf life. You can make a number of variations on this recipe, including lemon, cherry and almond. I also like to add confectioners' sugar glaze. —Raine Gottess, Wellington, Florida
Recommended: 12 Favorite Thanksgiving Gravy Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cake flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 4 drops yellow food coloring
- 2 drops red food coloring
- In a large bowl, cream butter and confectioners' sugar until blended. Beat in egg and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flours and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture.
- Divide dough in half. Mix orange peel and food colorings into one half; leave remaining dough plain. Wrap each in plastic wrap; refrigerate 1 hour or until firm enough to roll.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Divide each half into eight portions. Roll each portion into a 15-in. rope. Place one plain rope and one orange rope side by side; press together lightly. Cut rope crosswise into 3-in. pieces. Twist each piece several times; place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Repeat with remaining dough. Bake 7-9 minutes or until bottoms are golden brown. Cool on pans 2 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: about 3 dozen.
Originally published as Orange Twists in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2016, p72
Reviews forOrange Twists
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Nov. 16, 2016
"Use corn syrup with powdered sugar adding water in a mixer. Mix well adding water until icing is med. Thickness. Ice cookies on wire rack once cooled. Top with sprinkles.You can omit the orange peel/zest and extract to change the flavor:Cherry: red food coloring in 1/2 dough with chopped marachino cherries and 1 tsp. Cherry extractAlmond: 1 tsp. Almond extract sprinkle top of iced cookie with slivered almonds. You can also add 2/3 c. Slivered almonds to that half of the batter and I like to add brown coloring to give the cookie a light two tone look.Lemon: add lemon zest and 1 tsp. Lemon extract wuth several drops of yellow food coloring"