Onion Rye Appetizers
Total TimePrep: 10 min. + freezing Bake: 15 min.
- 1 can (2.8 ounces) french-fried onions, crushed
- 1 jar (2 ounces) crumbled bacon or 3/4 cup crumbled cooked bacon
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 3 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 jar (14 ounces) pizza sauce
- 1 loaf (16 ounces) snack rye bread
- In a large bowl, combine the onions, bacon, mayonnaise and Swiss cheese. Spread about 1 teaspoon of pizza sauce on each slice of bread. Top with about 1 tablespoon of the cheese mixture.
- Cover and freeze in a single layer for up to 2 months, or bake on an ungreased baking sheet at 350° for 12-14 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted.
- To use frozen appetizers: Place on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 14-16 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted.
Editor's NoteReduced-fat or fat-free mayonnaise is not recommended for this recipe.
Nutrition Facts3 each: 697 calories, 42g fat (15g saturated fat), 66mg cholesterol, 1574mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 5g fiber), 28g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 7, 2016
Took these to a girls' night & they were a big hit
Jun 9, 2014
I made these using rye party bread I had in the freezer. REALLY good!!I made the full recipe of topping which would not be enough for a full loaf of the bread. I think the way the recipe is written, it does not intend that the topping will be enough for a full loaf since it says it serves 20 or that could be an estimate of the # of slices in a full loaf and 2 slices per person??? Anyway, I will use the remaining spread on my regular bread to use it up. Half the loaf I had was 18 slices and I froze 13 and my husband got 3 and I ate 2!! Also, does not use up the full jar of pizza sauce..
Mar 29, 2012
I made these and froze them then cooked them for company. Everyone enjoyed them and they were great
Nov 28, 2011
It was a favorite! I could not find the party rye, so used regular rye bread andcut each slice into fourths. Very flavorfuland moist. Loved it!!!!
Jan 2, 2010
I make them every Christmas for an appetizer party at my mother's house. They are sooooo good! Like mini pizzas but better!
Mar 14, 2009
Oh my goodness - these were awesome! So easy to make and full of flavor. The kids went crazy over these. My only change to this recipe was that I used snack sourdough bread as that is what I had on hand. Will be making these again and again.
Aug 9, 2008
tomatoes is great!
Jan 23, 2008
could add mushrooms