Omelet Wedges with Cheese Sauce
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 6 large eggs, separated
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- Dash pepper
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites and salt until stiff peaks form. In a large bowl, beat the cornstarch, egg yolks and pepper until lemon-colored. Add water; mix well. Fold in the egg whites.
- Pour into two greased 9-in. pie plates. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the cornstarch, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; stir in cheese until melted.
- To serve, cut each omelet into six wedges. Stack two wedges on each serving plate with cheese sauce drizzled between and on top.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 275 calories, 19g fat (12g saturated fat), 263mg cholesterol, 624mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 0 fiber), 16g protein.
Feb 9, 2012
We really enjoy these layered omelets. The only downside is that there are two pie plates and some mixing bowls to wash afterward. But the omelets are tasty, the presentation is attractive and unique, and the cheese sauce is fantastic!
Sep 19, 2010
I feel stupid because I was so into mixing the yolks with the cornstarch that I forgot to put water into it. I had already folded the whites into the yolk when I realized this. I threw the water in anyway.It came out just like it was pictured so we still loved it. However this makes a big dish so I would recommed it for a family meal.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.