- 1-1/2 cups sliced onions
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 cups milk
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1 pound haddock fillets, cut into large chunks
- In a large saucepan, saute onions in 2 tablespoons butter. Add the water, potatoes, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Combine the flour and milk until smooth. Stir into potato mixture along with evaporated milk. Add fish and the remaining butter; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook 5-10 minutes longer or until fish is opaque. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Reviews forOld-Fashioned New England Fish Chowder
"This chowder was absolutely fabulous and delicious! I made a small change by cooking sliced scallions in a little butter with pancetta before adding the potatoes. Yummy - I'll definitely make this again!"