This recipe was passed down through the family from Grandma Irene and is a favorite of my dad and cousin Dennis. It's a true cookie lover's cookie: crispy on the outside, chewy on the inside and perfectly dunkable. —Lori Rowe, Tigerton, Wisconsin
Recommended: 30 Desserts Ready in 30 Minutes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Cream butter, shortening and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking soda and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Stir in oats, coconut and walnuts.
- Divide dough in half. Shape each into a 10-in. long roll. Wrap in plastic; refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Unwrap and cut dough crosswise into 1/2-in. slices. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake until edges begin to brown, 8-10 minutes. Cool 2 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Yield: about 3-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Oats & Coconut Icebox Cookies in Cookies & Candies Bookazine 2017