New England Pumpkin-Walnut Bread
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 1 hour + cooling
Makes2 loaves (16 slices each)
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 4 large eggs
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 2/3 cup water
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup honey
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts, toasted
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a small skillet, combine oats, sugar and cinnamon; cook and stir over medium heat 4-6 minutes or until oats are toasted. Remove from heat.
- For bread, in a large bowl, beat pumpkin, eggs, oil, water, sugar, honey and vanilla until well blended. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking soda, salt and spices; gradually beat into pumpkin mixture. Fold in walnuts.
- Transfer to two greased 9x5-in. loaf pans. Sprinkle tops with oat mixture.
- Bake 60-70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool.
Editor's NoteTo toast nuts, bake in a shallow pan in a 350° oven for 5-10 minutes or cook in a skillet over low heat until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 220 calories, 9g fat (1g saturated fat), 23mg cholesterol, 200mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (22g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Nov 10, 2017
Excellent Bread. The bread was moist and as other reviewers have said, not too sweet. There was a sweetness but not overpowering. The balance of spices was pleasing, too. I would be OK with omitting the oatmeal on top of the bread. I didn't really find that it added much to it other than it made it known it was homemade and not a box mix you can buy in the store. I've already tossed out my pumpkin bread recipe and this will be my "go to" recipe for pumpkin bread.
Nov 2, 2015
Made these loaves for my mom who loves a moist quick bread. And these are deliciously moist, thanks to the applesauce! It's great that it makes two loaves! Thanks for the recipe!
Oct 29, 2015
Very good and easy to make! I really like the fact that it made two nice large loaves and in fact, I had enough batter for a jumbo-size muffin which allowed me to taste it since the two loaves went into the freezer for future use. I added a little extra sugar to the oats when I toasted them, but other than that I followed the recipe exactly.
Oct 29, 2015
This recipe is fabulous! Moist, sweet but not overly so. The toasted oatmeal on top gives a good crunch. I omitted the nuts and added dark chocolate chips instead.
Oct 1, 2015
I followed the recipe except for omitting the walnuts. It baked perfectly and tasted delicious! This is a less sweet quick bread and the blend of spices is very nice. The presentation makes it idea for sharing.