New England Pumpkin-Walnut Bread
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 1 hour + cooling
Makes2 loaves (16 slices each)
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 4 large eggs
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 2/3 cup water
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup honey
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts, toasted
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a small skillet, combine oats, sugar and cinnamon; cook and stir over medium heat 4-6 minutes or until oats are toasted. Remove from heat.
- For bread, in a large bowl, beat pumpkin, eggs, oil, water, sugar, honey and vanilla until well blended. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking soda, salt and spices; gradually beat into pumpkin mixture. Fold in walnuts.
- Transfer to two greased 9x5-in. loaf pans. Sprinkle tops with oat mixture.
- Bake 60-70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool.
Editor's NoteTo toast nuts, bake in a shallow pan in a 350° oven for 5-10 minutes or cook in a skillet over low heat until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 220 calories, 9g fat (1g saturated fat), 23mg cholesterol, 200mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (22g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Jan 5, 2020
My family loved this recipe. The minute I took them out of the oven, my husband was standing by to have a slice. Within 36 hours, the first loaf was gone. I wrapped the second in plastic wrap and then foil and froze it for a family gathering a week later. It was a rave review for all. Will make often throughout the year.
Sep 21, 2019
Great pumpkin bread recipe moist and delicious, will probably add reasons or cranberriess.
Sep 15, 2019
My new recipe for pumpkin bread hands down! Instead of water, I used apple juice and I used cranberries instead of walnuts. It came out so delicious and moist. The recipe is so versatile allowing you to change it up each time and still come out with a wonderful bread for family and friends!
Sep 12, 2019
I can’t wait to make this but have a question. One reviewer mentioned applesauce makes it moist but the recipe doesn’t call for it. How much would I add to the recipe and would it be a substitute for the honey or sugar?
Sep 12, 2019
It would be very nice if recipes had the adjustments for high altitude! I have a wonderful pumpkin bread recipe from when I lived in Louisiana. But it needs something different for Colorado. This recipe sounds great, but I don't want to waste ingredients on something that will not turn out right due to altitude. Thank you!
Sep 12, 2019
HomeChefColleen mentioned applesauce … I don't see it in the ingredients ????
Sep 12, 2019
One of my most favorite quick bread recipes--the spices give it a deep, rich flavor, so reminiscent of fall. The oats on top are a unique touch that make it look like a professional bakery loaf.
Nov 10, 2017
Excellent Bread. The bread was moist and as other reviewers have said, not too sweet. There was a sweetness but not overpowering. The balance of spices was pleasing, too. I would be OK with omitting the oatmeal on top of the bread. I didn't really find that it added much to it other than it made it known it was homemade and not a box mix you can buy in the store. I've already tossed out my pumpkin bread recipe and this will be my "go to" recipe for pumpkin bread.
Nov 2, 2015
Made these loaves for my mom who loves a moist quick bread. And these are deliciously moist, thanks to the applesauce! It's great that it makes two loaves! Thanks for the recipe!
Oct 29, 2015
This recipe is fabulous! Moist, sweet but not overly so. The toasted oatmeal on top gives a good crunch. I omitted the nuts and added dark chocolate chips instead.