Naked Fish Tacos
This is one of my husband's all-time favorite meals. I've even converted some friends to fish after eating this. I serve it with fresh melon when it's in season to balance the subtle heat of the cabbage mixture. —Elizabeth Bramkamp, Gig Harbor, Washington
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 cup coleslaw mix
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 green onion, sliced
- 1 teaspoon chopped seeded jalapeno pepper
- 4 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 2 tilapia fillets (6 ounces each)
- 1/2 medium ripe avocado, peeled and sliced
- Place first four ingredients in a bowl; toss with 2 teaspoons oil, lime juice, cumin, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Refrigerate until serving.
- Pat fillets dry with paper towels; sprinkle with the remaining salt and pepper. In a large nonstick skillet, heat remaining oil over medium-high heat; cook tilapia until fish just begins to flake easily with a fork, 3-4 minutes per side. Top with slaw and avocado.
Health Tip: If you’re following a low-carb diet, this dish is for you! If not, pair it up with a whole grain side like brown rice pilaf or corn and pepper saute.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 293 calories, 16g fat (2g saturated fat), 83mg cholesterol, 663mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 3g fiber), 33g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 5 lean meat, 3 fat, 1 vegetable.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Naked Fish Tacos in Simple & Delicious August/September 2017