My Mother’s Lemony Chicken with Broccoli
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch strips
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice, divided
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 4 cups fresh broccoli florets
- Lemon wedges
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. In a shallow bowl, mix flour, garlic powder and paprika. In another shallow bowl, whisk egg and 1 tablespoon lemon juice. Dip chicken in egg mixture, then in flour mixture; shake off excess.
- In a large skillet, heat butter over medium heat. Add chicken; cook 4-6 minutes on each side or until no longer pink. Remove and keep warm. Add broth, lemon peel and remaining lemon juice to skillet; bring to a boil. Stir in broccoli. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 8-10 minutes or until broccoli is tender. Serve with chicken, lemon wedges and, if desired, rice.
Nutrition Facts3 ounces cooked chicken with 3/4 cup broccoli (calculated without rice): 304 calories, 15g fat (8g saturated fat), 122mg cholesterol, 716mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 3g fiber), 28g protein.
Nov 16, 2017
Simple and very good. I've made it twice. I Didn't change much. This time I let the pieces of chicken soak in the egg-lemon mixture while I made the rest of the meal prep and then I dropped them into a plastic bag with the seasonings and then shook to coat.One other change was I added more broccoli--maybe five or six cups.
Jun 7, 2016
I doubled this recipe for 7 including 2 young, hungry men. It was a hit. I used bottled lemon juice and lemon zest from the spice rack.
Aug 10, 2015
This was very quick to prepare. I just used bottled lemon juice and left out the lemon zest, but will try it next time with a fresh lemon.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.