My Mother’s Lemony Chicken with Broccoli
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch strips
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice, divided
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 4 cups fresh broccoli florets
- Lemon wedges
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. In a shallow bowl, mix flour, garlic powder and paprika. In another shallow bowl, whisk egg and 1 tablespoon lemon juice. Dip chicken in egg mixture, then in flour mixture; shake off excess.
- In a large skillet, heat butter over medium heat. Add chicken; cook 4-6 minutes on each side or until no longer pink. Remove and keep warm. Add broth, lemon zest and remaining lemon juice to skillet; bring to a boil. Stir in broccoli. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 8-10 minutes or until broccoli is tender. Serve with chicken, lemon wedges and, if desired, rice.
Nutrition Facts3 ounces cooked chicken with 3/4 cup broccoli (calculated without rice): 304 calories, 15g fat (8g saturated fat), 122mg cholesterol, 716mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 3g fiber), 28g protein.
Jul 1, 2020
It's tasty but cooking the broccoli covered at 10 minutes is too long. It will lose its bright color. Also, the sauce is a bit thin. I would add something sweet such as honey or a bit of sugar to make the sauce syrupy.
May 21, 2020
VERY GOOD But not worth the effort
Apr 30, 2020
This was amazing!!! The flavors were so delicious. I made exactly as recipe states. Perhaps I cut my chicken into smaller strips, which I liked ....but it was a hit with my husband and 2 boys!!!
Apr 20, 2020
I just typed chicken, broccoli and lemon into my search engine and came across this recipe. So glad I did! It was delicious - and I love that it has pretty basic ingredients that I already had in the house. My family loved it and I will definitely be making it again.
Apr 12, 2020
Made this tonight for my husband and I and it was a hit! So delicious. Thank you!
Mar 23, 2020
Delicious! Made this last night exactly as written. Whole family loved it. We added a bit of Soya Sauce at the table to taste.
Mar 17, 2020
I made this last night and we loved it, I used a little more lemon juice and zest and also used smoked paprika since that’s all I had on hand and basmati rice, also side dish of cole slaw and sautéed onions and yellow squash ??
Jul 11, 2019
I really enjoyed this.... simple and flavorful. I will definitely make it again
Feb 22, 2019
I also dropped the egg-dipped chicken into a bag with flour mixture. Worked really well. I put the cooked chicken pieces back on top of the broccoli while steaming. My guys really loved it! Really needed the lemon wedges to spike the tangy lemon flavor without adding more salt.
Nov 16, 2017
Simple and very good. I've made it twice. I Didn't change much. This time I let the pieces of chicken soak in the egg-lemon mixture while I made the rest of the meal prep and then I dropped them into a plastic bag with the seasonings and then shook to coat.One other change was I added more broccoli--maybe five or six cups.