Favorite Creamy Chicken Casserole
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 40 min.
Makes2 casseroles (5 servings each)
- 4 cups uncooked egg noodles
- 4 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen peas and carrots
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of celery soup, undiluted
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cook noodles according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the remaining ingredients. Drain noodles; add to chicken mixture.
- Transfer to two greased 8-in. square baking dishes. Cover and bake 30 minutes. Uncover and bake 10-15 minutes longer or until heated through. Freeze option: Cover and freeze unbaked casseroles up to 3 months. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Cover and microwave on high for 10-12 minutes or until heated through and a thermometer inserted in center reads 165°, stirring twice.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups: 355 calories, 15g fat (5g saturated fat), 81mg cholesterol, 1106mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 3g fiber), 24g protein.
Jan 30, 2017
Enjoyed this dish and would make it again because it's easy to prepare and my family really enjoyed it. It also made a ton of food! The four of us didn't even touch the second pan and I wish I had frozen it rather than bake it. But the flavors were good and I didn't change anything or add any toppings. Some French fried onions would have been tasty though!
Dec 13, 2016
I always read the reviews first, however, I was in a hurry did not. SAUTE THE ONIONS. Or as someone else suggested, top with French's French Fried Onions. Other than that, it was tasty. Similar to chicken pot pie on the quick. I'll make again but mix it up a bit.
Mar 28, 2016
I liked it. It's a nice country style dish. I thought it was pretty easy to make. Definitely saut? the onion or chop them fine if you don't want your onions crunchy. I also added another cup to cup and a half of noodles to make it thicker. Also added corn to the frozen peas and carrots.
Mar 22, 2016
I feel terrible saying this, but I Just don't understand how this got such high ratings. I followed the advice of several other reviewers who said it was bland and tweaked it. I happened to have a thick slice of deli ham on hand from another recipe so I cubed that with the chicken. The ham was better and I wished I had used all ham instead. I saut?ed the onion along with bell pepper, celery, and garlic. I also added about a cup of shredded cheddar mixed in and crushed Ritz crackers on top. With all of those additions it was still just a take it or leave it dish. So for the amount of prep time it actually took, I have other recipes I prefer to spend the time on. I was looking for a tastey and easy weeknight supper but I would think if you make it the easy way as the recipe calls for it would have no taste at all.
Apr 7, 2015
My hungry boys loved it and couldn't get enough. Luckily it makes two!!
Aug 4, 2014
My family is not a big fan of onions so I chose to omit them, BUT I crush butter crackers & sprinkle them on top & follow the baking directions
Mar 30, 2014
Very good. For future casseroles, and just because of my personal preference...I will saute the onion first. If you are not a big fan of crunchy onion, then I would suggest this for you, as well. Thank you for the wonderful recipe!
Mar 25, 2014
Super easy to make!
Feb 11, 2014
Used stir fry veggies and only 3 cans of soup, 2 chicken and 1 celery. It was really good. Topped w/ French's French Fried Onions to give it some crunch. We can eat on this most of the week.
Dec 29, 2013
Yum! I used sautéed veggies instead of frozen and only 3 cans of soup . I prefer to sauté the onion before using in dishes like this to avoid crunchy onion in every bite.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.